Home of Monymusk, c.1584, corridor restored 1937. In impact, a courtyard palace set on an beautiful bend within the Don, one of many biggest homes of Aberdeenshire, albeit now quite truncated. Historically related to the Priory, it was
obtained from the final Commendator by William Forbes who’s credited with extending the tower to an L-plan chateau. It was bought in 1712 to the Grants who’re nonetheless in residence. The prodigious Forbes block was of a minimum of 4 storeys, with
battlements and corbelled angle rounds. It has a vaulted floor flooring, the corridor at first flooring, as traditional, and retains its painted ceiling and heraldic panel over hearth (badly restored between the wars). The tops of the second-floor home windows have hoods sitting on sculptured corbels. This block was significantly recast by Alexander Jaffray, 1719-20, who eliminated the battlements all the way down to the corbel desk and added a platformed roof with a excessive library (with Carolean ceiling) on the west and two storeys of bedrooms on the 17th-century east-north-east wing. He additionally rebuilt the south
wing with its round tower. A library wing of two storeys and the oriel window have been added, 1886, J M Dick Peddie.
The home was as soon as much more in depth, having had a railed courtyard to the south and east with a tower pavilion on the angle to reflect the tower on the south wing and the gates which are actually on the entrance to the south drive, thus forming a ‘claire voyée’ facade. These gates, that are by Jaffray, have the piers set diagonally and rusticated in bands. Topped by tall urns. Walled backyard just lately restored.
Taken from "Aberdeenshire: Donside and Strathbogie – An Illustrated Architectural Information", by Ian Shepherd, 2006. Printed by the Rutland Press www.rias.org.uk
Tagged: , home of monymusk , aberdeen